3.19.2010

I Bought You Into This World....

Here at Glass Houses and Stones, Friday is Family Friday, where we answer questions about family, kids, friends and life in general. So here we go…..

Question of the Day: Is there ever a legitimate time to get a ‘GET OUT OF CPS’ free pass for D.D.T.’n your child?

First let me say that I am not only a member but I am the president and CEO of the ‘Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child’ fan club.. I am not abusive and my son should honestly get more whippings than he gets. But ultimately my son knows which buttons not to push so that he won’t get a whipping so bad that he will wake up 3 days later. But kids today are just a different breed from when I was growing up and when my parents were growing up. They push buttons differently than we did. Like I would talk back to my mom at the house. They talk back boldly in public places in front of strangers. That’s like the ultimate sin. I would mumble ‘I hate you’ or ‘I wish I had a different momma’ under my breath. These kids outright say I HATE YOU in plain King’s English, and live to tell the story.

I remember back in the day the saying was, “I bought you into this world, and I will take you out!”……….the kids today make you want to clench your jaw together and with eyes of the devil, say through your teeth….”I. WILL. END. YOUR. LIFE.”

What is going on? I think if every parent didn’t fear going to jail behind going ape shit crazy on their kids a$$es then we wouldn’t have half the problems that we have today. And I am not talking about abuse, so get off your soapbox Oprah. But I am talking about a genuine old fashioned, leather belt to naked ass whipping. The reason why I had any kind of act right is because I was scared to death of getting a whipping. And my mom didn’t just use belts; she used combs, brushes, shoes, extension cords, whatever was near here and could be swung. (I WAS NOT ABUSED, SO CPS, STAY AWAY FROM MY MOMMA!!!)

Ultimately it was the whipping coupled with actual fear of death from your parents that made my generation and those before me, have a lot of act right. Is that’s what missing, do they not fear us anymore? Have our secret spidey powers been taken away? Are we no longer Spider Man, and just simple ordinary Peter Parker Parents? WOW! I guess that’s two questions for today….. What say you Blogville, USA????

1 comment:

SoftSpoken said...

First of all let me say that my kids get whippings...there are no such things as time outs in my house. However, I have come to the realization that kids are going to talk back regardless if they are whipped with a belt, extension cord, spatula, or whatever is within reach and even if they are not whipped at all. BUT the manner and degree in which the whipped children talk back will be totally different from the non-whipped children because they have that inner fear deep inside their bodies while they are saying whatever it is they may say because they never know when mama and/or daddy will reach around and back-hand slap the dog piss out of them while they are in mid-sentence. THAT IS CALLED DISCIPLINE AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A CALL TO CPS EITHER. I guess kids get to the point at which they want to test the waters to see just how far they can push mama and daddy, without realizing that what they just said or the facial expression I just made will get them merc'ed. If we instill that inner fear in them early in their lives it doesn't go away, it's just suppressed beneath tons of testosterone or estrogen.